Our new database page will launch shortly.
THE XX ITALIAN GRAND PRIX
A Very Active Race
THIS year the Italian Grand Prix took the title of the Grand Prix of Europe, for what it is worth, and the organisers reverted to the to-kilometre combined road and banked track circuit at Monza, which was used in 1955 and 1956. In this arrangement the wide part of the track in front of the pits and grandstands is divided into two lanes by conical rubber markers, carrying B.F. advertising, and the start is on the outer lane, away from the pits. From here the course follows the normal road circuit via the Curva Grande to the two sharp right-hand bends at Lesmo, back around the Ascari curve and down the back straight to the Curva Sud. This brings the course onto the inside of the pits straight where it runs parallel with the starting straight until it runs onto the northern banking in a right-handed sweep. The banked track passes over the road circuit return leg and then down a straight parallel with the other two straights of the road circuit, and onto the south banking. From this banking the course runs onto the pits straight on the outside and back to the start. This layout results in cars travelling at maximum speed off the south banking and past the grandstands, while on the inside are cars still accelerating from the fiat Curva Sud; it also means that any visits to the pits must be made at the half lap, while travelling up the pits side of the wide straight.