Our new database page will launch shortly.

Stuart Lewis-Evans

Full Name:
Stuart Nigel Lewis-Evans
20th April 1930
Luton, Bedfordshire
25th October 1958 (Aged 28)
East Grinstead, Sussex, following an accident at the Moroccan GP on 19th October 1958
Most recent race (in database):

The diminutive Stuart Lewis-Evans was an apprentice with Vauxhall Motors in Luton when he followed his father (Lewis "Pop" Evans) into 500cc Formula 3 in 1951. That was with a Cooper MkIV-Norton and he soon gained popularity – particularly at Brands Hatch. He raced these spectacular little machines for five years and won both at home and abroad with victory at Chimay in 1952 an early overseas success.

Formula 1 with Connaught and Vanwall

Recognised as one of the sport’s coming men, he had joined the Connaught Formula 1 team by the end of 1956. He won the 1957 Glover Trophy at Goodwood and finished fourth on his championship debut at Monaco.

Connaught missed the French Grand Prix so, with Stirling Moss and Tony Brooks both absent, Tony Vandervell offered Lewis-Evans a drive in his Vanwall team. Having extricated himself from his Ferrari contract (he had finished fifth for the marque at Le Mans), Lewis-Evans took his opportunity with aplomb and completed the season with Vanwall. He led Mike Hawthorn in the non-championship Naples GP and qualified on pole position for the Italian GP at Monza. Despite a most promising campaign, fifth position at Pescara was his only other points finish.

He remained with Vanwall for the 1958 World Championship in a three-car team alongside Moss and Brooks. On pole position at Zandvoort, third at the Belgian and Portuguese GPs and fourth in Britain, he was integral to Vanwall’s victory in that year’s constructors’ title.

But, as he tried to help Moss win the drivers’ championship at the final round in Morocco, Lewis-Evans’ transmission failed on the fast backstretch of this road course. Helpless, he crashed with the car quickly engulfed in flames. Badly burnt, he was airlifted back to England where he died six days later aged just 28.