Our new database page will launch shortly.
Turin's Valentino Park had held races since 1935 and was chosen as venue for the 1948 Italian Grand Prix. That layout included two long straights along the Corso Massimo d'Azeglio as well as the roads within the park. Jean-Pierre Wimille won for Alfa Romeo with Raymond Sommer finishing third as Ferrari made its Grand Prix debut. It was in here in 1952 that the non-appearance of the BRM team persuaded organisers to switch that year’s World Championship to Formula 2 rules. Racing in the park continued until 1955 – Alberto Ascari’s Lancia D50 winning just weeks before his death at Monza.