Our new database page will launch shortly.
Racing on the site of the Richmond International Raceway started in 1946 when Ted Horn won on the dirt of Richmond Fairgrounds. Despite being paved in 1968, Richmond remained a low-key venue until owner Paul Sawyer refurbished it for the autumn NASCAR race in 1988. It reopened as a 0.75-mile D-shaped modern speedway, with 14 degree banked turns and grandstands for 94,030 spectators. Richmond held an IndyCar event from 2001 to 2009 and that, and one of the two NASCAR races, were held under floodlights.