Our new database page will launch shortly.
This area of Tuscany had a long racing history before the modern Autodromo Mugello was opened in 1974. The Mille Miglia passed through here on open roads that included the famed Futa Pass, and these roads were also used for the 41.135-mile Circuit of Mugello, a sports car race that was held from 1920 to 1969. Five years after Arturo Merzario was the final such event, a modern circuit was built in a valley near Barberino di Mugello at the southwestern end of the course. The Autodromo Mugello is a spectacular Formula 1 standard facility that originally attracted both the European Formula 2 and World Sportscar Championships. Ferrari acquired the circuit in 1988 but the opportunity to hold international car racing events diminished over the coming decades. Instead, MotoGP has taken centre stage at Mugello, with the challenging venue holding the Italian Grand Prix for motorcycles since 1992.