Our new database page will launch shortly.
The Italian Grand Prix has been held at Monza since 1922 and all-but four occasions. Only Imola in 1980 has interrupted its tenure during the World Championship years and both Milan and Turin held the event on temporary courses immediately after World War II. The roads inland from Livorno had already been home to the Montenero road course following an initiative by a local newspaper. The Coppa Ciano the annual highlight – the brainchild of a locally born politician of that name. The shorter Livorno course was introduced in 1936 and the circuit was preferred to Monza for the 1937 Italian GP which Rudolf Caracciola won in the mighty Mercedes-Benz W125. Races were held on these roads into the 1950s.