Our new database page will launch shortly.
The Automobile Club de France had designed a 30-mile permanent road course at Puy de Dome near Clermont-Ferrand in 1908. Although the project was stillborn, a Grand Prix circuit with over 50 corners was opened in the beautiful surroundings of Clermont-Ferrand fifty years later. The Circuit Louis Rosier, now known as Charade, held the French Grand Prix on four occasions. It twists and undulates around two extinct volcanoes with no real straight apart from a short one at the start. The old venue closed in 1988 and was replaced by a shortened circuit that hosted national events. Charade closed temporarily in 2000 to refurbish the pit complex.