Our new database page will launch shortly.
The first Hungarian Grand Prix was held in Budapest's Nepliget Park in 1936 when Tazio Nuvolari held off the all-conquering German teams in his underpowered Alfa Romeo. Racing returned to Hungary in the early sixties at Ferhegy airfield before Formula 3 and European Touring Cars used new street track adjacent to Varosliget park and Heroes Square in 1963 and 1964. That included cobble stones, tramlines, hay bales and a dual carriageway where tyre markers were used to separate oncoming competitors. The 1936 layout was a slightly modified when the championship returned to Nepliget Park from 1966 to 1972. Hungary applied to the FIA for a round of the F1 World Championship on December 9 1984 and both parks were suggested as the venue before it was decided to build the Hungaroring instead.