Our new database page will launch shortly.
Brands Hatch was the home of 500cc Formula 3 racing when it opened for cars on 16 April 1950. By 1964 the circuit had been extended and the direction of racing reversed, changes that allowed it to become a full Grand Prix venue. Jim Clark scored a convincing home win in the first British GP held there. Brands Hatch then alternated with Silverstone, holding 14 Grands Prix (twelve British and two European) before Silverstone won an exclusive contract to stage the British GP from 1987. Although the Kent venue eventually won its own exclusive contract to hold the Grand Prix from 2002, new owners Octagon Motorsports eventually decided it would be cheaper to lease Silverstone rather than upgrade Brands to F1 standard. The circuit was then acquired by Jonathan Palmer's newly formed Motor Sport Vision concern in 2004 and MSV have restored Brands Hatch to its former glory. The full circuit is one of the most demanding in the world and the Indy circuit offers fans some of best viewing possible. Short run-off areas made safety an issue as illustrated by the injuries sustained by Johnny Herbert and Michel Trolle during the 1988 Formula 3000 meeting. However, recent modifications have alleviated the problem.